web analytics

New brewery trademarks ‘Any Beer’

April 1, 2012
By

Please note: yes, this was an April Fool’s gag except Monteith’s really have trademarked Radler and an Australian brewery has indeed tried to register Australian Ale and Australian lager…

A newly established brewery has courted controversy by trademarking the name ‘Any Beer’ and is seeking to prevent publicans from serving other beers when patrons request “any beer”.

The company, Any Brewery, makes two beers — Any Ale and Any Lager — and has registered these names, together with the expression “Any Beer” as trademarks.

Brand owner Jack Dorff said it all started as a bit of a gimmick with his mates, but then he realised he was onto a business opportunity.

I have been kit and kilo home-brewing for years,” Jack explained.

Whenever my mates came around, I would ask them what they wanted to drink and they’d say, ‘any beer, thanks Jack’.”

It became a bit of a joke, so I started to call my beer, ‘Any Beer’ and got some labels done up.”

A couple of years later I was down the local and I heard a bloke say to the bird behind the bar, ‘I’ll just have any beer, thanks love’.”

Straight away I thought, ‘I’m onto something here’ and checked and it wasn’t trademarked…so I registered the name and started my business.”

Mr Dorff says he now brews his beers “at a secret location” but has enough capacity to distribute nationally.

We have started paying backbackers a bounty every time they hear someone say, ‘any beer please’ and the person is given something other than our beer,” he said.

That seemed like another great idea as backpackers travel the country, are always in pubs and work cheap.

We can get it to the pubs quick enough, so if someone is asking for our beer by name they should get it.

If not, we’ll just send the pub a letter letting them know that we exist and asking them to stock us for next time they’re asked. If they don’t, we might have to speak to our lawyers about it.”

Mr Dorff says that he sees nothing wrong with trademarking such a common name as he’s not the first.

Let’s face it, Monteith’s started it when they trademarked Radler and Saison,” he said.

DB Breweries argued it trademarked ‘Radler’ as a reflection of the significant investment it had made and the brand recognition it had achieved.”

I spent a fortune getting my labels printed so made a huge investment too,” Dorff explains.

And blokes are registering other common things too. Trademark applications have been lodged for Australian Ale and Australian Lager…so why not Any Ale and and Any Lager?”

Dorff said that he had also applied to register the names ‘Same Again’ and ‘Another One, Thanks’ for their forthcoming light beer and cider.

As for the beers, the lager is described as being:

A Super Premium Lager. Made with only the finest small batch malted barley, double-hopped with hand-picked hops, our top secret yeast and water drawn from our private water supply, this is a full-flavoured and satisfying, crisp and sessional dry lager.

Low-carb to prevent bloating and the dreaded beer belly, our lager Any LagerTM undergoes an extended maturation period of several days to ensure that we give you the ultimate beer drinking experience. We assure you that beer doesn’t get AnyTM better.

While the ale is:

a refreshing Australian-style cloudy pale ale with restrained bitterness and a clean, smooth finish. It’s an easier-drinking beer than many craft ales and a familiar style that Australian beer drinkers will recognise. The use of malted wheat also adds to its refreshing character delivering a beer with a fruity nose and hints of passionfruit, grapefruit and citrus.

Any Brewery
www.anybrewery.com.au
Ph: 07 5641 Beer (2337)

Protect, Promote & Grow

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to New brewery trademarks ‘Any Beer’

1. Mike on April 1, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This is all bullshit, Jack hasn’t Trademarked anything, and has NO ownership of the generic term “Any Beer”

And if he thinks otherwise tell him he’s “Dreaming”

As for the “TM” that is just meaningless..

2. Jack on April 1, 2012 at 11:44 am

what kind of marketing strategy is tricking people to order your beer by accident? What garbage.

3. Lachlan on April 1, 2012 at 9:27 am

This has to be a joke…I’ll never be drinking his waste of space beer.

4. Ian on April 1, 2012 at 9:14 am

Check the calendar, fellas.

Sounds like a good idea, though. I’d carry it one further and trademark “Whatever’s Good” as well.

• prof pilsner on April 1, 2012 at 9:51 am

Well spotted Ian. Having said that, this is as much about gauging reaction and seeing just how much we, as a beer-buying public, are becoming more aware of slick marketing and bullshit-to-sell-beer. The fact that so many so readily accepted that this COULD actually occur indicates that this has happened — for real — in the past. At least our Bullshit Radars are well tuned here in Craft Beer Land!

• bradford Tetlow on April 1, 2012 at 10:12 am

.…and, at the end of the day, April 1st is a pretty good day for social commentry, something many of us rely on Matt for. In this case, especially those of us living in NZ.

5. Ian Watson on April 1, 2012 at 8:57 am

Agree with Pete on this one except possibly for the “ I reckon we get this bloke on Radio Brews News to defend the indefesible.” bit.
    .… I would say don’t dignify this lazy and poor marketing drivel with any more time but I LOVE the articles written by Avril and would like to see where this beer goes in a year from now.

6. Luke on April 1, 2012 at 8:57 am

brilliant. Oh so brilliant. I wonder if they will do a collaboration with Effen beer (although now Effen is rebranding to be ‘more like brewdog’ maybe it’s too late)

7. Simon on April 1, 2012 at 8:28 am

Jack should get the trade mark for “wanker”.

8. Bradford Tetlow on April 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

Jack reckons he is going to have this on tap at a number of venues around Sydney all Sunday, especially down the rocks area.…you’d be a fool to miss out.

There are heaps of guys out there who just ask for “any beer” so it can’t fail right?

9. Simo on April 1, 2012 at 7:57 am

Wow, good for you mate. How about you brew a beer so fantastic that people request it on purpose? “I’ll have any beer except Any beer” will be the new saying.

10. prof pilsner on April 1, 2012 at 7:44 am

Well, we’ve spoken here about cynical and gimmicky marketing using spin over substance to flog beer but this effort would have to be close to Top 4?! As if beer in general needs anything else to undermine its credibility and keep people from discovering good beer. Smacks of laziness and an abject lack of respect for the beer drinker.

Having said that — I reckon we get this bloke on Radio Brews News to defend the indefesible.

Beer and Food