The CBIA is holding the inaugural Craft Beer Awards – The best of Australian brewing in Sydney during Sydney Craft Beer Week.
This is a major undertaking and we need some help from passionate beer lovers.
There are a number of jobs available from sorting the entries to stewarding at the judging to helping out at the awards ceremony. These are outlined below.
In return for your help we’ll give you a t-shirt, look after any meals when you’re with us, send you home with a box of beer at the end of the day and provide a half-price ticket to the CBA presentation ceremony on the 24th of October at the Giant Dwarf Theatre.
If this sounds appealing then all you need to do is fill out the form that can be found here.
If you have any other questions please contact Kris Latham, our Project Officer, on 0479 008 157 or email@example.com.
(Please note that if you are affiliated with a brewery that has beers entered in the competition unfortunately we cannot accept your help with the sorting or judging processes but would welcome your assistance with the awards ceremony.)
The Available Positions
Sorting team (4 volunteers) 4-5 days – 13th (1/2 day) – 17th of October (Tooheys Lidcome)
- Responsible for the receipt and inventory of all beers
- Provides timely notification of all discrepancies to lead sorting Manager
- Provides information for all database entries as to which beers are in which box and ensures proper labelling
- Ensures accuracy of sorting process by conducting random checks
- Builds boxes for sorted entries (Ideally this will be done by volunteers in advance of beer arriving) (May start this process on the afternoon of the 13th of October)
- Organizes/Palletizes beers by sessions 1-4
Data Base Guru (1 volunteer) – 2 days 21st/22nd of October (Novotel Olympic Park)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Access
- Second person assisting competition manager working on database inputting results and running queries
- Will team with competition manager to ensure all data entry is accurate with IT expertise if issues arise with data base
Table Captain (5 volunteers) 2 days 21st/22nd of October (Novotel Olympic Park)
- Lead for table supported by 2 stewards
- Responsible for corresponding judge table (Judges, supplies)
- Double checks that beers are presented accordingly (in order, correct beer, proper pouring technique and amount, proper temperature)
- Ensures Stewards are handling beers correctly and are comfortable carrying trays and placing beers at table in front of judges
- Provides feedback to stewards as needed
- Helps with all other duties assigned
Stewards (10 volunteers) 2 days 21st/22nd of October (Novotel Olympic Park)
- Follow all instructions from Table Captain
- Obtain beers to be judged from Block Captain
- Verify correct beers were obtained by matching to the pick sheet
- Organizes glassware and stickers associated for each beer to be served
- May pour beers (at the discretion of the TC) after training is completed under supervision of TC
- Serves judges beers
- After judges are served- 1 steward or TC remains near Judge table in case Judges require anything
- Beers are moved to sampling area ONLY when Block Captain notified the stewards
- Keeps back of house area clean and neat
- Helps with all other duties assigned
Comment cards (3 volunteers) 2 days 21st/22nd of October (Novotel Olympic Park)
- Organizes all incoming comment paperwork by beer entry associating it to the brewery file so that all can be sent after the competition
- Places all comments into associated envelope for mailing
Randomizing crew- (2 volunteers) 2 days 21st/22nd of October (Novotel Olympic Park)
- Organizes and maintains tasting table – clearing beers etc.
- Assists with the distribution of beers from the pallet at the direction of the Block Captain
- Collects beers not opened once the Block Captain gives the ok
- Creates randomized beer boxes – 1 for each volunteer per day with a nice mixed box
Awards Team (4 volunteers) 24th of October (Giant Dwarf Theatre)
- Assists will movement of beer from beer truck to venue
- Assists with set up of awards venue as needed
- Provides any support as required during the awards (examples assisting with cheese and beer pairing)