The establishment of a second Hemingway’s Brew Pub & Brewery in FNQ is one of the most exciting hospitality projects Cairns has seen in many years. We are building a state of the art DME 35HL brewery together with a brew pub and an events space in a Heritage listed building in the heart of the Cairns waterfront. Go live date is late 2017 and we are now in the process of assembling a truly professional team to manage and grow our expanding business.
We are presently seeking an experienced Brewer who will report directly to the CEO and be responsible for the planning and execution of the day-to-day brewing operations across two breweries and safely achieve the timely delivery of the highest quality beer to our customers. Further expansion plans will see our group head brewer need to balance their role across current production as well as being an integral part of our expansion plans. We are looking for the role to start in Q2 2017. This job will have the following responsibilities:
- Brew world class beer
- Work with Hemingway’s management team, architects, engineers and DME to commission the 2nd brewery in Cairns (including a lab and offsite depot)
- Initiate creative recipe development, trial brews, ingredient selection, etc.
- Effectively manage brewing operations; principally, material management and inventory control, setting and executing the brewing schedule and managing labour resources
- Ensure a safe work environment for all Hemingway’s brew staff; this includes OHS compliance, conducting safety audits, maintaining up-to-date MSDS sheets, etc.
- Rigorously ensure adherence to all ingredient, in-process and finished beer quality specifications
- Perform Root Cause Analysis on quality deviations and recommend corrective actions
- Review brewing records for conformance to recipe
- Participate in daily sensory evaluations and ensure constant open dialogue with the CEO
- Strive for Continuous Improvement
- Help develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and ensure that they are understood and followed by all pertinent brewing and packaging personnel
- Track and report performance against brewing Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Coordination brewery production and product design with sales (onsite at brewpubs, and the offsite sales team)
- Be passionate about craft beer with a desire to be a critical component of establishing on of Australia’s leading brewery companies
- Innovation is critical – we require a brewer willing to experiment in beer design
- A minimum of three years in a brewing leadership role (head brewer) in an established brewery business
- IBD Diploma, or equivalent level brewing qualification
- Strong technical understanding of the brewing process and able to troubleshoot process issues
- Takes pride in their job and exudes a positive “can do” attitude
- Goal oriented and able to enrol others in attaining those goals
- Very organized with great attention to detail
- Level headed, even-tempered, team player who is comfortable with controlled chaos
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Working technology knowledge (e.g. Microsoft, supply chain software, etc.)
Our company culture encourages people to own their role and develop innovative solutions giving them room to learn and grow. We strive to invest in finding the right people and offering them the opportunity, training and responsibility to grow with our business, all within an environment that takes pride in core values such as collaboration, transparency, authenticity, quality and passion.
Please send your resume with cover letter to Tony Fyfe CEO [email protected]