The beer, appropriate to the cooler season, will be available nationally from June 2010.
The beer continues Malt Shovel’s run of creating beers with additions of fruit (raspberry in 2008’s Mad Brewers Raspberry Wheat and apples in this year’s Mad Brewers Orchard Ale) and spices (2008’s limited release Pepperberry Winter Ale) by incorporating 15% cherry juice, added late to the kettle.
Tony Jones, James Squire Chief Brewer, describes the beer as being “a complex blend of malt flavours that has a full body without being too bitter.”
“This was a challenge because we wanted to balance the malt with something other than the usual big hop character. The addition of cherry juice, which added a subtle acidity to the brew, proved to be the solution.
“The resulting beer has rich, chocolate-like qualities with a hint of cherry, and a smooth, caramel malt finish; perfect for savouring on a cold winter’s night,” Tony said.
Malt Runner is the fifth such limited release, following other seasonal brews including James Squire Hop Thief, James Squire Pepperberry Winter Ale and James Squire Rum Rebellion Porter. The 2008 Summer limited edition, James Squire Sundown Lager, was so popular with consumers that it is now part of the permanent range.
Chuck Hahn, James Squire Master Brewer, says the new brew is similar in style to a German Bock, “but, at a more modest 5.2 per cent ABV, is technically more a dark lager.”
Malt Runner is limited to just 9,000 cartons and will be available on-tap at James Squire brewhouses nationally.
A six-pack of James Squire Malt Runner will have a RRP of $18.99, while a carton will be available at $59.99 RRP ($19.99 and $60.99 in South Australia).
How does it taste? Read our review…
Venues to serve James Squire Malt Runner on-tap
- James Squire Brewhouse – King St Wharf, Sydney
- Marlborough Hotel – 145 King Street, Newtown
- Northern Star Hotel – 112 Beaumont Street, Hamilton
- James Squire Brewhouse – 493 Docklands Drive, Docklands
- The Portland Hotel – 115-127 Russell Street, Melbourne
- Grand Central Hotel – 270 Ann Street, Brisbane
- The Norman Hotel – 102 Ipswich Road, Buranda
- The Belvedere Hotel – Oxley Avenue, Woody Point
- The Full Moon Hotel – 118 Eagle Terrace, Sandgate
- The Spotted Cow – 296 Ruthven St Cnr Ruthven and Campbell Streets, Toowoomba
- The Generous Squire – Cnr Shafto Lane & Murray Street Perth CBD
- The Grosvenor Hotel – 399 Hay Street, East Perth
- The Norfolk Hotel – South Terrace, Fremantle
- Earl of Leicester Hotel – 85 Leicester Street, Parkside
- The Wheatsheaf Hotel – 39 George Street, Thebarton
- Wellington Hotel – 36 Wellington Square, North Adelaide
- The Holdfast Bay Hotel – 83 Brighton Road, Glenelg South
- The Elephant – 20 Vaughan Place, Adelaide
- The Squires Bounty – Salamanca Place, Hobart
- All Bar Nun – MacPherson Crescent, O’Connor
- Edgar’s Inn – 1 Edgar Street, Ainslie