Sydney Craft Beer Week launches to thirsty Sydney-siders
Sydney-siders will finally get the beer festival they deserve when Sydney Craft Beer Week launches today, set for a huge week of events in October.
The new event will combine the best craft beers from Australia and around the world with some of Sydney’s best food, with a program that has some fun with craft beer- from beer matching dinners, craft beer ‘tap takeovers’, to beer ‘mixology’, brewers showcasing beers made exclusively for the week and even a beer high tea.
At over 60 events during the week of October 20 to October 28, twenty of the country’s most interesting brewers will bring their best beers to some of Sydney’s top restaurants, pubs and bars.
As an official part of the 2012 Crave Festival, the festival is not just for beer fanatics and craft beer ‘nerds’. It will feature a fun gastronomy focus, showing craft beer’s diversity and variety in events such as ‘Beer Mimics Food’ where home brewers will create beers that are inspired by some of their favourite dishes. Leading chefs and food personalities will also help design beers inspired by food.
Sydney’s craft beer scene is rapidly growing with specialist venues such as The Local Taphouse, Hart’s Pub and The Union in Newtown, and an increasing number of craft beers brewed in the city (including Young Henrys in Newtown)
Stand out events throughout the week include:
- Hair of the Dog Breakfast – the boys from Beermen TV are testing the limits of the most important meal of the day with six delicious courses and eight different beers
- Beer High Tea at The Pumphouse
- Young Henry’s Open Day- doors of the Newtown brewery open to the public with food vans, DJs, guest beers
- Beer degustation dinners at Dank Street Depot and Three Blue Ducks
- Beer, chocolate & cheese- Hart’s Pub matching craft beer, handmade cheese and dark chocolate
- The Great Beer vs. Wine showdown- Fix St James sommelier Stuart Knox vs ‘That beer bloke’ Ian Kingham
- Food Truck Ambush (Ambush Gallery) food trucks match their food with Stone & Wood beer, creating a mobile food mall
- Beer blends, bites and blenders at The Roosevelt- the Beer Diva will host a tasting of mixologists working with limited release beers, hands on beer mixing and beer cocktails
Brewers participating in Sydney Craft Beer Week include:
Epic Brewing, Young Henrys, Holgate Brewhouse, Stone , Two Birds, 4 Pines, Bridge Road Brewers, Murrays, and many others
Tickets on sale Wednesday 22nd August
For the full schedule of events please visit www.sydneycraftbeerweek.com