Top line-up of judges confirmed for AIBA with entry deadline extended by one week
An impressive line up of judges has been announced for the 2014 Australian International Beer Awards (AIBA), which has extended its entry deadline to Friday, 21 February.
The judging panel including the who’s who of the brewing world has been assembled under the guidance of returning AIBA Chief Judge and award-winning brewer, Brad Rogers, and includes over thirty experts from Australasia, the US, Canada and Europe.
Held annually by the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria (RASV) in partnership with Federation University Australia, the AIBA promotes and celebrates Australian and international excellence in beer and brewing.
In 2013, the AIBA attracted a record 1,480 entries from more than 230 brewers in 35 countries around the world.
RASV CEO Mark O’Sullivan is predicting strong entries for the competition this year as it continues to gain worldwide recognition from industry experts.
“The Australian International Beer Awards is hugely supported in Australian and international brewing communities, with entries increasing year-on-year.
“The RASV is proud to provide brewers with the opportunity to compete in an international awards program where they can showcase and benchmark their products against international industry standards,” said Mr O’Sullivan.
This year, the AIBA judging will take place in Melbourne, from Monday, 28 April to Friday, 2 May.
Winners of the 2014 AIBA will be announced on Thursday, 22 May as part of Good Beer Week, with highly prized trophies from a variety of categories on offer, including Champion Australian and International Beer and Champion Large, Medium and Small Brewery.
For the first time, the Awards will include the AIBA Media Award, sponsored by Crafty Pint, to recognise Australia’s top media talent specialising in beer and brewing.
For more information on the AIBA please visit www.beerawards.com or connect on Twitter at @AIBA2014.
2014 AIBA judges
Australian judges include:
- Ben Kraus, Bridge Road
- Brendan Varis, Feral Brewing Company
- Chuck Hahn, Lion
- Colin Paige, Thunder Road Brewing
- David Bonighton, Mountain Goat Beer
- David Medlyn, Coopers
- Ian Morgan, Holgate Brewhouse
- Jeff Potter, Malt Shovel
- Lachlan MacBean, Grainfed
- Neal Cameron, The Australian Brewery
- Neil Whittorn, Matilda Bay Brewery Company
- Owen Johnston, Hop Products Australia
- Paul Holgate; Holgate Brewhouse
- Peter Aldred, Federation University Australia
- Sam Shrimpton, CUB
- Tina Panoutsos, CUB
- Shawn Sherlock, Murray’s Brewing
- Warren Pawsey, Little Creatures
New Zealand judges include:
- Brian Watson, Contract Brewing International
- David Nicholls, MOA Brewing
- Doug Donelan, NZ Hops Ltd
- Luke Nicholas, Epic Brewing Company
- Shane Morley, Steam Brewing
- Stephen Plowman, Hallertau Brewbar
International judges include:
- Carl Kins, Belgian beer specialist, Belgium
- Chuck Skypeck, USBA, USA
- Jay R. Brooks, beer judge and writer, USA
- Dean McLeod, Lighthouse Brewing, Canada
- Leon Mickelson, The Brew, Kerry Hotel in Shanghai, China
- Michael Jordon, Boxing Cat Brewery, Vietnam,
- Michael Comerton of Pomegranate Asia, Vietnam
- Youichi Kiuchi, Kiuchi Brewery, Japan