web analytics

Wild Yak hits the market

September 7, 2016
By
Wild Yak Pacific Ale

Wild Yak Pacific Ale

As the dust settles from Stone & Wood’s clash with Thunder Road over ‘Pacific Ale’, CUB has released Wild Yak, its take on the hotly debated genre.

“Fat Yak’s the second biggest craft brand in Australia. Lazy Yak’s the third biggest craft brand,” CUB marketing director Richard Oppy told Australian Brews News.

“We’re planning to only have three or four in the range and not extend the Yaks too far.

“I’m betting that Wild Yak could surpass both of them and become the biggest Yak in the range.”

Oppy said Lazy Yak is still performing strongly after its impressive debut.

“I’m expecting that Wild Yak will slow the growth of Lazy Yak when it starts competing for taps and the like, because an outlet’s not guaranteed to give you three Yaks within one venue,” he said.

“But incrementally, across the portfolio, I think there will continue to be significant growth.”

Read more:
Carlton Pale Ale next for resurgent CUB

Southern_Beer_Strap

Tags: ,

6 Responses to Wild Yak hits the market

1. James on September 8, 2016 at 5:28 am

Just drank a couple at the Pier Hotel in Cairns. I hate to say it but as far as mainstream craft goes, it is a cracking option. Stone & Wood is near impossible to find up here so it is good to have a good beer available and not the same old boring ones in every pub.

2. Mik on September 7, 2016 at 7:59 pm

http://www.yakales.com.au shows what it’s all about..

3. Toddy on September 7, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Do CUB really think this is a good long term strategy? They keep fighting for a bigger slice of a shrinking pie rather than growing the size of the pie.If they think a Stone & Wood drinker would touch this then they’re seriously delirious

4. Paul Pacey on September 7, 2016 at 4:18 pm

I’m drinking one now at Grand Central Hotel. It’s a Pacific ale clone with little aroma, no yeast haze, thinner mouth feel, and a Carlton Draught esque resiny finish at the back of the throat. Stone and Wood have nothing to worry about!

5. Tony Smith on September 7, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Lazy Yak, Fat Yak or Wild Yak are NOT real craft beers Mass produced swill!

• Danny on September 8, 2016 at 5:40 pm

I had a Wild Yak stubby today, considering that the Stone & Wood is almost twice the price per slab (if you can find it) I don’t necessarily think it’s twice as good. The S&W beats it hands down no question for me, but if I’m buying for the BBQ and want the style, the Yak will take my money every time. Moral to the story for CUB is don’t waste tap space for it in pubs spouting S&W, but feel free to keep selling discounted slabs!