It was a happy homecoming to WA for a few of the State’s brewing alumni at last night’s Perth Royal Beer Show Awards.
Pirate Life, based in Adelaide but spearheaded by Sandgropers Jack Cameron and Jared Proudfoot, dominated the event by taking out the Beer and Beef Club Champion Beer for its Mosaic IPA.
And 3 Ravens, the Melbourne operation led by west coast-trained Brendan O’Sullivan, was deemed to be the Best Small Brewery in show.
There was also considerable success for locally-based brewers in the awards, which featured a 23 per cent increase in entries this year. Judges tasted around 700 beers.
Former Colonial lead brewer and Bintani’s current boss of Sales, Products and Development, Justin Fox, was again this year’s Head Judge. The awards are conducted by the Royal Agricultural Society of WA.
New players in the industry were also rewarded.
Blasta Brewing, which opened in Burswood three month ago, won Best Pale Ale (Draught) for its Grimster Rocks.
South West’s Margaret River Brewhouse, which has been open only 18 months, took home the champion trophy in the Stout/Porter (Draught) category after its Panther Cream impressed the judging panel.
And Hopped Up Brewery, based in the northern Perth suburb of Wangara, was deemed Best New Exhibitor. Hopped Up has had its Impala Pale Ale and Bavarian Lion Wheat Beer on WA shop shelves for six months.
Nail Brewing Australia continued its successful run by taking home the trophy for Best Reduced Alcohol beer (packaged) with MVP (3.4%). The same beer won a similar trophy at the Australian International Beer Awards in May.
Other trophy winners were –
- Hopco Trophy for Champion Large Brewery – Lion
- Edith Cowan University Trophy for Best Lager Packaged – Lion, James Boags Draught
- Cryer Malt Trophy for Best Lager Draught – Eagle Bay Brewing Co., Lager
- Container Refrigeration Trophy for Best Pale Ale Packaged – Pirate Life Brewing, Pirate Life Mosaic IPA
- Royal Agricultural Society of WA Trophy for Best Dark Pale Ale Packaged – Boston Brewing Co., The Right
- Royal Agricultural Society of WA Trophy for Best Dark Ale Draught – Innate Brewers, Bullet Proof Black
- Edith Cowan University Trophy for Best Stout/Porter Packaged – Colonial Brewing Co., Porter
- Hopco Trophy for Best Stout/Porter Draught – Brewhouse Margaret River, Panther Cream
- Clancy’s Fish Pub Fremantle Trophy for Best Reduced Alcohol Draught – Riverside Brewhouse, Sour Cherry Ale
- Royal Agricultural Society of WA Trophy for Best Wheat Beer/Belgian Packaged – 3 Ravens Brewery, Wild Ravens Golden Sour
- Cryer Malt Trophy for Best Wheat Beer/Belgian Draught – Artisan Brewing, 2017 Quad