Australia’s best beer and cider producers have been acknowledged overnight at industry awards The Beeries, presented by Gage Roads Brewing Co, held in Brisbane.
A total of eight well-deserving recipients were honoured with awards at the Royal International Convention Centre in Bowen Hills with over 250 industry members in attendance at the celebratory event.
Almost 3,000 votes were received from the public and industry, with seven of the eight winners determined by a two-step process which involved The Beeries advisory panel compiling a short list of finalists, which was then released to the public for voting.
The 2018 winners of The Beeries presented by Gage Roads Brewing Co are:
- Best Beer Tender sponsored by Hawkers Beer: Shani Finch, Netherworld, Fortitude Valley QLD
- Best Beer and Cider Retailer sponsored by Stone & Wood Brewing Co: Phil Guilletmot, Cellarbrations Bowen Hills, QLD
- Best Brewer sponsored by Bintani: Lachlan Crothers, Ballistic Brewing, Salisbury QLD
- Best Cider Maker sponsored by Cider Australia: Tim Jones, Willie Smiths, Huon Valley TAS
- Best Brewery/Cidery Rep sponsored by Brewsvegas: Kris Kempnich, Young Henrys, Newtown NSW
- Best New Brewery (opened after 1 Jan 2017) sponsored by BOC Gas: Revel Brewing, Bulimba QLD
- Special Achievement Award sponsored by Balter Brewing: Russell Steele
- The Gold Beery for Best Community Contributor sponsored by The Beer InCider Experience: Kerry Claydon, Chicks with Ales
Member of The Beeries Committee and founder of the Beer InCider Experience Martin Keetels said the event was a huge success with a record number of public votes determining a stellar line up of award recipients.
“It was fantastic to see so many people from the beer and cider industry come out to support this great industry event,” Keetels said.
“On behalf of The Beeries Committee I would like to extend my congratulations to all award winners and thank those in attendance for making the night such a success.”
The event’s most prestigious award, The Gold Beery for Best Community Contribution was presented to Kerry Claydon from Chicks With Ales. Chicks With Ales were acknowledged for their commitment to increasing accessibility of the industry to women and promoting female involvement in the industry.
In addition to Martin Keetels, The Beeries Committee consists of Les Riddell, manager of Helsby’s Alehouse at The Pineapple Hotel, Hugh Doyle, a business development manager for Stone and Wood Brewing Co, Cassie Potts, founder of Fitz+Potts, Matt Emmerson, co-owner of Caxton Street’s Brewski and Rory Gibson, columnist for The Courier Mail.
All proceeds from the night were donated to not-for-profit organisation Brewvegas which annually celebrates beer in Brisbane.
For more information on The Beeries please visit here.