The brewing industry internationally was faced with a crisis last month after stories about sexism, harassment and assault from women in the US industry went viral.
Notch Brewing Co. production manager Brienne Allan shared the stories and experiences of women all over the US, and it quickly spread across the Pacific, prompting wider discussions in the Australian and New Zealand industries about diversity, inclusion and creating safe workplaces.
Australian Brews News senior journalist Clare Burnett spoke to some prominent women in the Australian and New Zealand brewing industries, including Kylie Lethbridge, general manager of the IBA, Sabrina Kunz, executive director of the Brewers Guild of New Zealand, and Tiff Waldron, president of Pink Boots Society Australia, about the issue in the AU/NZ context, and what we as an industry can do about it.
Find out more about this story and the issues surrounding it:
- Podcast with Brienne Allen of Notch Brewing in the US
- Check out the Crack the Ceiling podcast with Tiff Waldron
- IBA members can find resources in the Health and Wellbeing section of its website
- Women in the industry can find out more about Pink Boots Australia, which aims to support and facilitate the education of women in the brewing industry.
- The Brewers Guild of New Zealand has launched a resource page.
For any suggestions, comments or to share your experiences, email:
Radio Brews News is proudly presented by Cryer Malt, who we are thrilled to announce are back supporting us for another year of conversations. With over 25 years in the field, Cryer Malt are dedicated to providing the finest brewing ingredients to help brewers create the foundations of a truly excellent beer. Your premium brewing partner – and our premium podcasting partner – Cryer Malt is proud sponsor of this conversion and the Radio Brews News channel.
Every guest on Beer is a Conversation receives a new piece of exclusive merch – a branded Yeti Rambler mug, thanks to our good friends at Yeti.
If you like what we do at Radio Brews News you can help us out by: