Website Burleigh Brewing Company
Team growth and diversification have led to an opportunity for a qualified Lab Technician / Quality Analyst to join our Burleigh Brewing Team.
The role includes performance of duties in analytics, microbiology, yeast handling and management, sensory analysis and more. The ideal candidate for this position will have prior technical lab and brewery experience.
The position is full-time and may include early mornings / evenings / some weekend work on a rotating roster basis. Candidates must share Burleigh Brewing’s commitment to care for our team, quality, safety, business ethics and continuous innovation.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collection of sterile samples for fermentation, brewhouse and packaging
- Routine process testing, recording and analysis / interpretation, including alcohols, gravities, pHs, diacetyl, DOs, titration, temperatures, cell counts; yeast health etc
- Preparing microbiological media, microbiology testing including spread plating, membrane filtration, media preparation, plate identification, analysis of microbial growth etc
- Calculation of pitch rates
- Assisting / contributing to overall quality program and troubleshooting activities
- Maintaining QC data including data entry, record keeping, trending, data analysis and follow-up with brewing and cellar teams
- Daily sensory evaluation
- Ensure micro supplies are maintained correctly in order to ensure sterility before use
- Ensure general cleanliness of lab and instrumentation; perform routine maintenance on laboratory equipment, including regular calibration, and troubleshoot analytical issues
- Work safely and maintain a clean, safe working environment; understand hazards and utilize the appropriate personal protective equipment
- Create and maintain relevant SOPs
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Brewer
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Tertiary degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Food Sciences or related field
- Two years of prior lab experience ideally in a brewery or similar environment; brewing and fermentation knowledge strongly preferred
- Chemical handling (cleaning) experience
- Attention to detail, ability to produce accurate, precise and reproducible data
- Understanding of scientific principles for quality control and quality assurance
- Ability to perform mathematical and statistical analysis
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to operate in a team environment and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to take initiative, act promptly and be proactive
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Genuine enthusiasm for craft beer
- Comfortable with use of ERP software and Microsoft programs
- Physically able to perform the duties of the job including standing for extended periods, reaching, crouching etc
The ideal candidate will be able to show proven experience in as many of the listed duty areas as possible. You will also be a great communicator who genuinely enjoys working as a cooperative member of a quality-minded team.
You must qualify residentially to work in Australia and be available to start asap.
BONUS POINTS FOR APPLICATIONS THAT INCLUDE A COVER LETTER, HIGHLIGHTING WHY YOU’RE A GREAT CANDIDATE FOR THE ROLE!
Applications close on 16 August and are to be forwarded only through SEEK please. Interviews may commence sooner so your prompt application is encouraged.
To apply for this job please visit www.seek.com.au.